Friday, January 3, 2014

A Walk In Forever

I want you to think about the word eternity for a minute. Mull it over. Try to wrap your mind around the unfathomably enormous thing that is eternity. You can’t do it, can you? Eternity, the depth of ‘forever’ is too much for our minds to grasp. But let me tell you something.
You are going to live for an eternity.
Eons ago, God wrote your story. Before man existed on the earth, He scripted your life from start to finish, choosing events and circumstances that would help shape you into who He wanted you to be. He chose you to be a member of His kingdom; not because of anything you’d done or would do, but simply because He wanted you.
Doesn’t that blow your mind?
After losing a loved one, one of the most frequent consolations believers tell each other is that we will see them again in heaven. One day the pain will go away, and we will live in paradise with Christ forever.
It’s a beautiful truth, and one that has given me great comfort over the past couple of years, but it has been said so much that it almost sounds trite. I mean, of course I know I’m going to heaven, and I know I’ll see my loved ones again, but I hurt now. What’s going to help me now?
It’s sad that we feel this way. It’s sad to think that God’s promises to us can ever grow old. Verses like Romans 8:28 and Jeremiah 29:11 are our mechanical responses to pain and difficulty. Rarely do we stop and think about the beauty of these promises. All things will work together for good. Isn’t that amazing? "For God so loved the world that He gave us His only begotten Son, so that all who believe in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." These words should invoke in us awe and a desire to worship, even if we've heard them a hundred times before.
I want you to read the next paragraph and then close your eyes (I'll know if you don't ;).
Imagine yourself in the throne room of heaven. You are surrounded by incomprehensible beauty, filled with God’s glory, listening to the voices of angels and saints adoring their Maker. You are in a dazed wonder, completely and utterly overwhelmed by love, beauty, and the glorious perfection of this place. And then you feel His presence.
Close your eyes and try to fathom it.
That, my friend, is what awaits us.
        Eternity is something that we need to think about more often. Its incomprehensible to our human minds, but it's real, and it's coming. One day, you will stand in the presence of God Almighty - and there you will stay forever. Can you think of anything more magnificent than that?
        God’s word is a precious, priceless gift, and one that should never grow old to us. Take the time to read and study it. And don't forget to sometimes take a walk in forever.

~Riah

No comments:

Post a Comment